51 Madison Street  |  Riverhead,  NY  11901  |  631-727-6667   |    Fax #: 631-591-3333  |  lodge1742@optonline.net  |  Contact Us

Riverhead Moose Lodge  -   History Page  
   
Home Page
                
                


Upcoming Events
Youth Group
Veterans Activities
Catering Hall Rentals
Moose Notes
Sponsored Charities
CANCELLATIONS

Our proud history shares a story of encouragement and hope to our community and neighbors.


Moosehaven was dedicated on October 3, 1922, and the first 20 residents arrived
(mostly from Mooseheart) on November 1, 1922.
During the first six months of operation, over 50 residents were admitted.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Join our Mailing List  Become A Volunteer  Join Our Moose Lodge Help Our Community  *Make a Donation*
         
     

Our Riverhead Moose Lodge in the early days....... and today 2020.

          


Above 2 photos courtesy of Len Van Vliet ‎Riverhead Moose Lodge banquet hall 1970 under construction
 







 Photos and History courtesy:  Mooseheart and Moose Haven old photos.   Shared information by many internet contributers.  Thank you.

http://www.mooseheart.org/history/

....This started out as an idea to allow members’ pooled resources to create a home and school where dependent widows
of Moose members could take their children..... (moosehaven website)


 


It is James J. Davis (right) who is duly honored as Mooseheart’s founder, for he conceived the Child City concept—
and tirelessly sold hundreds of thousands of men on the idea.

 But it was Rodney Brandon (left) who built Mooseheart, guiding the campus’ planning, construction, staffing and program for its first three years.




Mooseheart’s dedication ceremony on July 27, 1913




In late 1912, the Moose Supreme Council approved the purchase of what was known as Brookline Farm,
nearly 1,000 acres west of the Fox River along the dirt-surfaced Lincoln Highway.



What is now Minnesota Home on the Mooseheart campus was originally dubbed Purity Hall; the high-school age girls who
lived there upon its completion in 1915 began their mornings with calisthenics.




By the time this aerial photo was taken in 1933, many of today’s established Mooseheart landmarks were in place, notably the Campanile. With the Depression setting in, only the football stadium would be built between this point and the end of World War II.



The center court of the five-building Baby Village complex was originally built in 1922 with a formal concrete fountain (left); by 1940 (right)
the fountain had been replaced by a much more practical (and fun!) wading pool.



By the 1940s Mooseheart’s front entrance, off Illinois Route 31 (formerly Lincoln Highway), had been paved for many years and was graced
with mature trees. The concrete column at the entrance had been a gift from the Class of 1929.

(History information - complements of Mooseheart website)






PHOTOS COURTESY OF MOOSE MEMBERS.  THANK YOU

The Loyal Order of Moose is a fraternal and service organization founded in 1888, with nearly 1 million men in roughly 1,500 Lodges across the nation, Women of the Moose with close to 400,000 members in roughly 1,200 Chapters.


MOOSE HAVEN

   

Eligibility for Moosehaven

 



Back to the top of the page
 






 
         

 

All Rights Reserved 2020.  Riverhead Moose Lodge